Yamaha FZ6 Forums - FZ6 Motorcycle Forum

Yamaha FZ6 Forums - FZ6 Motorcycle Forum (https://www.fz6forums.com/forumindex.php)
-   FZ6 Service and Maintenance (https://www.fz6forums.com/11-fz6-service-maintenance/)
-   -   Tooling around (https://www.fz6forums.com/11-fz6-service-maintenance/10-tooling-around.html)

Flying Hotdog Vendor 11-14-2007 08:37 PM

Tooling around

I thought it might fun to ask if you have one sort of off-beat or unusual tool that you consider to be indispensable. Just on a whim here...I figured we might get some surprises and maybe some inspiration too or at least a couple of head slaps (why didn't I think of that!):cool:

Anne Lane 12-02-2007 09:53 PM

Radiator picker

Since my Dad told me I need to take care that no more than 5% of the radiator 'fins' are crushed or bent or clogged, I went to work trying to clean my radiator.
Rushing water doesn't work very well, and wastes ALOT of water. Even the softest brush was too hard on those very tender soft-metal fins.
So, I found a 2 inch sewing needle that works perfectly!
Takes a bit of time to individually straighten the fins, and pick out the bug parts and pebbles and stems, but the grill looks beautiful in the end, and you know your engine is getting the air it needs!

Hope this helps somebody.....I will be looking to see if anybody has discovered a good way to keep the chain lube from getting all over the tire when I spray the chain every weekend. Seems I have tried every angle! Am I going to have to break down and actually COVER the tire with something?

Little bit lazy,
Anne

sportrider_fz6 12-06-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne Lane (Post 25)
I will be looking to see if anybody has discovered a good way to keep the chain lube from getting all over the tire when I spray the chain every weekend. Seems I have tried every angle! Am I going to have to break down and actually COVER the tire with something?

Little bit lazy,
Anne

use a piece of cardboard hold it behind the chain so it sheilds the tire.

FZ6_fastred 07-24-2008 06:44 PM

Tin foil on the pipes when im draining the oil.

[email protected] 10-21-2008 05:02 PM

Of course you have to be patient when doing the cleaning.:p

wolfc70 03-18-2009 01:09 PM

The tinfoil on the pipes works great!!! Bean Clean is the best all purpose bike cleaner/degreaser around. Great for removing bugs and tar.

david.lee264 12-14-2009 06:03 AM

Its good enough to provide a good look and performance for you.

jamesanderson1 01-10-2010 07:46 PM

Yeah i accept this and I will try this one. Seems really a good one.

D.C. 05-04-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FZ6_fastred (Post 158)
Tin foil on the pipes when im draining the oil.

Man I wish I had seen this an hour ago....LOL